It's time to parent
Become the parent your kids need to create stronger lifelong relationships with food, body and self
Overcome the frustrations and worry
(and all that conflicting health information)
to confidently lead your family to better health...
Whether you have struggled with your own weight (or not).
You are not alone!
Join Family in Focus
Where do we even begin?
Have you ever thought these questions (and didn't dare say out loud):
Am I failing as a parent because my child is overweight?
Is my child an emotional eater?
Where do I start helping them, when I need help too?
When you're living in fear of overweight and obesity, the long-term consequences, the right-now shame and guilt, it's overwhelming to figure out how to help your own family, isn't it?
You can find all the advice in the world about what to feed your kids... and take in everything your doctor suggests
(if they consider your child overweight enough to recommend anything),
but how do you figure out what will work for YOUR family?
It's frustrating and confusing and leaves you feeling like you've failed your kids.
And feeling that you've failed yourself.
If Only It Were As Easy...
As easy as following the doctor’s directions or all the advice you find online to...
Eat Less, Move More. Sigh.
But it’s not the “bad” food,
it’s not the lack of moving,
it’s not that there’s another test for the doctor to run.
In fact, the strict eat less/move more creates:
arguing about “mandatory-fun” exercise
It focuses on what is wrong with you, your child, your and family.
Here’s what I want you to hear:
It’s not your fault that your children struggle with weight.
It's not their fault either.
And there’s no ONE elusive answer, diet, or motivation that you’ve overlooked.
(PS - You don’t have to be at a certain weight to make changes either!)
Imagine When You Will Have...
- Consistency in your approach (not giving in when the kids start whining)
- Flexibility to handle the times you change.your.mind!
- No more food fights
- Confidence that you've set your whole family on the right path to life long health
- Lighten the heavy burden of guilt
- A healthier relationship with food: for you and your family
- More connection with your children
- Focus on relationships more than the number on the scale
- Emotions that don't drive you to snack
- Peaceful sleep knowing you're doing exactly what you need to do
- A PLAN
The real answer is that it’s really about relationships
It's not about the food
It's not about the hunger
It's not about the scale
"It," the answer to finding a healthy weight for life, is about creating healthier relationships with food, body and each other.
And that is why I work with parents: we are the relationship role models at home.
(It’s not your fault that your focus may not have been in the right place. No one talks about this stuff!)
But if you want to see true change in your child’s health, the first thing they need is a role model to show them the right path.
But doing this as a parent isn’t easy!
Sure, you could go and Google weight loss for kids, find Pinterest recipes, get all sorts of input on Facebook about how your kid doesn’t “look overweight,” isn’t “that overweight” and have all sorts of doubts…
And we all know what it's like to seek medical care, get a diagnosis, but no helpful advice for what to do next.
As someone who has worked with families for over 20 years, I understand that the wealth of information isn’t helpful. It’s overwhelming.
More input from different voices is confusing. It makes you want to throw in the towel.
And my goodness, who has time to do all that internet searching and taste-testing from Pinterest, anyway? There’s no energy for that!
All the information in the world will not help you become the role model your child needs to find a healthy weight.
What parents really need...
is to know that all your prior struggles have nothing to do with your ability to make real, lasting change for your family.
And a plan to make it happen:
You CAN become the role model for your family’s health.
You CAN create healthier habits
You CAN find a sustainable weight together
You CAN strengthen your relationships and bring your family closer together
You CAN lead your family with confidence
Introducing: Family in Focus Coaching
The Comprehensive Program for Building a Healthy Family
This is the only program that empowers parents to become the role model for health at home.
You'll learn how to address family overweight and obesity by working with your kids and creating healthy habits.
Imagine, no more food fights and no more struggles at the dinner table.
Remember, you are not broken. This is about building a healthier family, not about fixing.Join Family in Focus
Hi! I'm Wendy
Over the past 20 years, a big part of the fun of being a pediatrician is watching families grow: new family members, new skills, patients becoming taller than their doctor! I’ve also watched kids grow on the scale and the growth curves. At first, the concern was that we needed to define and identify obesity so that we could treat it. And then, it became clear: the standard medical prevention and treatment weren’t making a difference for a large number of the families.
At the beginning of every visit, I would plot the child’s growth on a chart, and look at the curve. Parents would hold their breath…. “What’s the news?” I could hear it in their anxious voices, “What kind of parent am I being for my child?”
One day Emily's mom asked me why I wasn’t having the “BMI chat” with her. Emily, at 6 years old, had been growing consistently over the 85% for body mass index. We had already covered that she was eating a variety of whole foods at meals with her family, and lots of activity over the course of the day. There were no “red flags.”
I asked, “Why? What are your concerns?”
Mom came to tears. “You’re the first doctor who hasn’t told me I was doing it all wrong because she’s still “Overweight”.”
Emily was thriving. Her mother was struggling. Because she thought she was doing it all wrong.
What would it look like to create confidence in your parenting, and not feel like everything needs to be fixed? What would it look like to start focusing on your family and the habits you build together, instead of the numbers on the scale?
What You'll Get When You Join
- Create healthier habits for you and for the whole family
- Create self-confidence in leading your family
- Recognize which parts of family health are within your control - and which are not
- Redefine your relationship with food and with each other
- Find a healthy weight that is sustainable
- Become more connected with your children, partner, family members
- Gain more time as you worry less about your family’s health
- Understand what drives you to overeat, to understand what your kids are experiencing & invite change
The Key to Helping Your Family Be Healthy is...
It Starts with You
Parenting is hard... when we feel like we're fighting our kids and our bodies. Let's work together to figure out what you need to be the parent your kids need now.
Create Healthier Habits
We are creatures of habit! With Family in Focus you will understand why your current habits exist and how to build new habits to last a lifetime.
Do It Together
We share so much in our families.
You will learn & practice tools to help all family members, at every age.
To Have a PLAN
I will help you design a customized plan - made by you, for you, for your family. You'll learn how to create a plan with love, and then consistently follow it without fear of meltdowns.
Build Stronger Relationships
Focusing on weight loss for kids creates battles in the home. Instead, learn how to shift the focus from weight to habits, as well as the language to connect with your child and build stronger relationships with food, body and each other.
Live Group Coaching Calls
Get coached directly by Wendy, So that parents learn from others who are on the same journey; hear questions answered that you didn't even know you had!
Weekly Action Items
Each group call starts with a learning topic to apply to your family, examples include:
- Planning Meals & Beyond
- Food rules
Sessions Recorded to Private Portal
So that you can access on-demand. Schedules are not an issue when you can view the content when it works for you.
What Would It Be Worth To:
- Not lay awake at night worrying about your child’s weight?
- Not stress over what you’re serving for meals?
- Not have to make a separate meal for everyone in the family?
- Not have endless trips for weight checks and have the BMI chat over and over and over again?
- Stop the endless cycles of yo-yo diets?
- Not have your child live the cycle of struggle that you have had?
- Stop wasting money on the latest/greatest health fad?
- Address weight concerns for your whole family?
- Not have to figure out time off, co-pays and transportation for medical consults?
- Transform your family's health without guilt & shame?
- Help yourself and your family without harm?
Here's what you get with
Family in Focus Slow Growth Coaching:
Become the role model for your family's health,
creating confidence and healthy habits that the whole family will share for life.
8 (and growing!) Foundational Modules
- Apply to your unique family and personal needs
- Create a plan for whole-family healthier relationships
- Includes foundational learning topics that are then applied to your real life
Group Coaching Sessions
- At least two sessions every single month
- Direct coaching by Wendy or special guest coaches
- Apply learning topics to your real life
Build a community of parents going through the same struggles: you are not alone!
Supportive environment actively addressing bias and stigma
- Parents-only sessions to have open discussions about weight, stress, life topics without any need for filters
- Group learning, shared experiences (you learn even when others are being coached!)
- Guaranteed small groups mean you get the direct access you want
- Raise your hand and get on each call, and learn from others' experiences
- You are not alone: connect, learn together
Private Portal Access
- Modules and Group Coaching recorded for on-demand access
- Learn on your time, from your home
- Access to private portal for lifetime of the program
24/7 written coaching
- You always have access to electronic support! (email or closed community space)
- Responses guaranteed within 48 hours
- Invitations to join private coaching at a fraction of the community price, only available for group coaching members
Physical and mental health, healthy habits, and anti-diet approaches are NOT a quick-fix (after-all, that would be a diet). You have lifetime access to Family in Focus group coaching to receive support at your pace and as your family goes through "all the seasons". There is no rush. You will have access to our ongoing program for ongoing support, training and troubleshooting ('cause we all need some ongoing TLC raising kids!).
Family in Focus: Slow Growth
Group Coaching to Become the Parent Your Kids Need: Lifetime Access
We offer pricing tiers for individuals to choose which option best supports you, acknowledging that health and effective interventions should not be in the hands of those with financial privilege. (Many thanks to Simone Seol for paving the way to equity in coaching practice.)Groups Opening Again Soon. Apply TODAY
My healthcare colleagues: Option to add-on access to CME credits after checkout, at discounted rate of just $300 for all Family in Focus sessions each calendar year
Real Words from Real Families
Lindsey, Mom of 3
"For so long now I have felt like I had to control and fix everything and if it wasn't working I must be failing... what a heavy feeling. I entered this course to help essentially one child who struggles with weight but I've learned the weight struggle was mine. Her weight doesn't hold her back.... it was me. I was thinking by fixing this I could protect her from being made fun of or help her to look a certain way.... these were never her insecurities.... they were mine. It doesn't seem so overwhelming and hard now."
Client's 9 year old son
"I love Dr Wendy.
She is helping you be a better mom."
Ashley, Mom of 2
"My kids are so different. My son is underweight and I feel so guilty that I fed my daughter every time she cried as a baby, and now she's overweight. They used to whine that they were hungry while I was cooking and it was such chaos. Now, I have some peace while I am cooking and I feel like I am winning because they are eating their veggie or fruit before the meal even starts."